Monday, May 08, 2006

The Sleeve of a Poet

I don't think it's such a great mix to be both the type of person that wears his heart on his sleeve and a poet. I’ll explain.

I’ve never been one for the mind games. I had a friend Scott Mehl, who loved mind games maybe because he was so intelligent, but he would play with everyone. It seemed everyone liked it to until someone close to him got hurt. That’s another story. However Scott and I had a different relationship, I didn't play his games I told him how I felt and what I thought about his games. And since that point in my life I’ve never tried playing the games. so when I like a person I try to make it obvious and when I don't I also do try and hind it, unless it might cost me my job then I avoid the person as much as possible so I don't have to play the game. Now this might not seem like a big deal but when you're a poet it can be confusing.

When I write poems they can be about me or about anyone. They can be love poems to no one in particular and they can be about someone. It confuses people because I am pretty open with how I feel. Sometimes people think I’m writing about them or me and that person in a poem. The truth is unless I openly say this poem is about us or how I feel about you then it isn't about them or us. it gets confusing because people will say something or write something to me and I’ll like what they say and use it in a poem and then the person reads it and thinks the poem is about them when all I did was take a line or two that inspired me and created a poem with it. When in my mind the two things aren't related.

I hate mind games and try so very hard not to play them, but in the end I think even if you're not trying you can unavoidably play them so to warn any future events please know that unless I tell you the poem is about you or us it isn't.

Perfect example the poem I put on my blog Saturday isn't about anyone. I was simply in a great mood because it was raining and it was Friday and I was listening to one of my favorite albums on the way to work and I was inspired to write that particular poem. And if you listen to the Pixies 'Doolittle' I think you'll be able to tell that was a direct ode to that album.

Until the next ranting have a rainy day

0 comments: