Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My History in Music Volume One; A Musical for the Masses

Before we begin let's remember the rules 1. Play it loud 2. Shake your butt 3. Nod your head

Let’s begin
1. Batman theme- this is one of those life memories watching the TV, ever since I’ve been a fan of the man
2. Fortunate Son, Credence Clearwater Revival- this is a song that represents my father and his taste of music, my early life was influenced by my parents taste in music like any good child
3. I am a Rock, Simon & Garfunkel- this one is my mother's style even though she's mostly a country fan I don't have any dolly patron or Kenny Rogers.
4. Anytime, Patsy Cline- this one goes out to my grandparents on both sides their are fans of the old style country, and I have to say so am I
5. America, Neil Diamond- this is the first song that I remember thinking I love this voice and due to my patriotism I also loved the message
6. All Shook Up, Elvis- this is my first and favorite singer of all time. From elementary to middle school he was all I listened to.
7. Forever Your Girl, Paula Abdul- she is my first crush on a singer, I think that's the only reason I even listened to the music but for a short time my freshmen year I really liked this cd
8. Smells like teen Spirit, Nirvana- this song changed my life it was big enough to break into the small town of Evanston Wy. It rocked my head like a blender and I loved it I loved it so much unknowingly it changed my life, the first time I heard it was in the summer before my junior year, right before I went to Alaska to visit family.
9. Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash- this is the song I remember most during the long drive to Alaska in the back of my grandparent’s r.v.
10. This is Shangrila, Mother Love Bone- the beginning of my new world sounds like this. While in anchorage I spent all my time with my older cousin Michael Jordon. He had died his hair black and broken up with his girlfriend, he was about five years older than me and had this wide range of music I had never heard of in my small town mind. He spent most of his time driving around and listening to music that blew my mind wide open.
11. Hunger Strike, Temple of the Dog- this song was dedicated to Andrew Wood the singer of Mother Love Bone who died of an accidental overdose on heroin. It was also the first time I heard the melodic voice of Eddie Vedder and I had my first homoerotic moments as I heard his voice.
12. So Far Away, Social Distortion- another group Michael introduced me to, my first punk band and still the best.
13. Why Go, Pearl Jam- I loved his voice as you know and I love the fact that the songs not only rock your world they tell you about the world we really live in.
14. Would?, Alice in Chains- after returning home with a list of bands from my cousin to check out I went hunting and found the next three on the list. I love how this particular song opens.
15. Dollar Bill, Screaming Trees- another great band that is still great to listen to, I love his deep voice my second c.d. I ever bought as I made my transition from tape to cd. Mother love bone was the first it came in the long cardboard boxes.
16. Head Like A Hole, Nine inch Nails- ok so besides being a song that introduced me to industrial genre it also says my name right before the singing begins if you listen carefully to the chanting at the very beginning. They scream my name three times and then Trent comes on and starts singing.
17. Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd- the major events of my junior year were trying to not get killed by the cowboys and jocks for being different and the other major event was finding my first love, Julie Christensen. During the course of our time together she made me a mix with this song and the next on it. So now I can't hear them without thinking of her and this one in particular would foreshadows things to come.
18. Possession, Sarah McLachlan- I loved hearing this song on a mix from a girl I liked and I have yet to have this happen to me (what the song is about) but a guy can still hope.
19, Wave of Mutilation (U.K. Surf Mix), The Pixies- the next most important person to me in my junior year was Justin from Seattle, he helped me learn to develop my own sense of style and taught me a lot about music. He was also the first close friend I had since the seventh grade. He didn't mind getting harassed by the cowboys and jocks along with me. This song reminds me of the times we would go to his house for lunch and eat gas station burritos while he and his dad got high.
20. Over the Rainbow, Judy Garland- I can't say I like the movie but this song can still make me smile and at times come to the edge of tears, its a great song.

To be continued in volume two....

0 comments: