Monday, May 15, 2006

The Good Days

so I was thinking about the past as I often due, I think that's what makes me enjoy history I love thinking back even on my short life and retracing steps.

My family was never well off or even comfortable financially, we were always struggling to make ends meet. And often my dad had to work two jobs to pay the bills. I remember one time when I had the chance to help the family and my dad, I didn't get a job and pass the pay check off to my parents but I help my dad with his second job.

His primary job was working for the sheriff dept. and he got a second job as a custodian for the school district. Now depending on his schedule at the sheriff's office we would either go in early in the morning or late at night to clean. We cleaned the school district's offices. Two buildings. Now I didn’t need to help my dad but without me he would have gotten a lot less sleep. And I look at any chance to be with my dad as an opportunity, growing up my dad worked in the oilfields and that meant he was always on call and always gone. I missed many holidays without my dad, and the majority of my childhood without him around. It wasn't until I was in high school that he got the job with the sheriff' office and became a constant fixture in he home, so I loved to be around him.

I remember cleaning toilet and vacuuming and emptying trash cans. But I also remember telling jokes and eating breakfast or getting a pop together, riding in the truck. My dad's not a big talker so a lot of the time was quiet but it was still time together. Looking out into the night or early morning. I had a job with taco time as a closer so it was often the case were I’d get off work around midnight and then meet my dad to clean for a few hours, we'd both be tired but we always had fun together.

The good days...

0 comments: