Thursday, October 26, 2006

David Sedaris at the Capital



Tuesday the 24 of October at the Capital Theater I enjoyed my first encounter with David Sedaris. We arrived around 7:30 pm and David was at the end of a table full of books and Audio books. I bought a copy of Me Talk Pretty one Day and stood in line to have it signed. Once it was my turn David asked me, “If you were to going to sign a book what would you put in it?" Little did he know I had already thought about it and was prepared to answer, "A Haiku." That stumped him, he thought a little and began to write on the book next to the word DAY he added a TONA next to it so that it could be read as Me Talk Pretty one Daytona. He then said well I can't write poetry so he wrote the word Hi KU and then said he'd be reading a poem tonight. I then went in to sit at row Z chairs 111, and 113. He began at 8 pm and read a poem that will be featured on NPR this Saturday. It was a funny story about morgues. He then read a story about baby sitting. Then he read a story about gayness and drug use. All great stories I laughed a lot and enjoyed myself. David then began to read entries from a journal that were very small and funny, I looked at it like trying out new material. He then began to promote the Philippines, and an Indian Politian. He then read an excerpt from Is There No Place For Me Here? by Susan Sheehan. It's about a schizophrenic. He also mentioned that if anyone could read protégées they could have a personal copy of a protégées copy of one of his books. He then sold us on Tokyo. It's his favorite new place to visit and is thinking about moving there for a few months. He then took a few questions to end the evening. He bowed as he left the stage and the night was over. I have a great deal of appreciation for the man and enjoyed myself terribly.