Friday, February 20, 2009

Shiny Happy People



Shiny Happy People
Out of Time, 1991
2nd Single
US Chart #10
UK Chart #6

Some say this song was an ironic attempt to publicizes the Tiananmen Square uprising. The title comes from a propaganda poster called 'Shiny Happy People'. This is all well and good but, I think they could have done a better job of portraying that idea in either the lyrics or video. Otherwise it seems to be something they thought up after words.

My own personal belief on the song is that it's a very happy shiny song, and at times I love the song, and at other times I would rather not listen to it. The video is an adrenaline rush of joy. I do have to say I love singing the "Do do do do do do dodo". I love Peter's expression throughout the video.

Kate Pierson from the B-52's has a great voice and I don't think anyone else could have helped Michael sing the song. I also have to mention that this song was turned into a Sesame Street song in 1999, called "Furry Happy Monsters".

1 comments:

dmaismith said...

Had no idea. I really like that song.