Friday, February 20, 2009

Begin the Begin




From - Lifes Rich Pageant
Released in 1986
Track 1.

It is only proper that I begin at the beginning. The title of the song as many of you know is a play on words from the song written by Cole Porter, "Begin the Beguine", which was written in the 1930's. Personally I think it has a lot of the same energy of the big band songs of the 30's with a modern take.

The song starts out with a punch and continues to progress with a steady drum beat. The Chorus has an almost haunting echo to it. It ends like a car crash sudden with painful sours. I love watching Michael dance about the stage to this song; he seems to swing on a loose wooden gate.

What I love most about the song is the desire to start over. It is easy to see that we've screwed up and it's time to stop what we're doing and start over fresh. This is a common thread through out the album.

Some of the lines that stand out are, "The insurgency began and you missed it. I looked for it and I found it. Myles Standish proud, congratulate me." I love the fact that he seems to demand an answer to our inaction. The reference to Myles Standish, a famous solider during the Plymouth Colony only seems to give weight to the idea that we all must decide what we are willing to fight for. This also adds to the reference to Martin Luther, another man that was willing to try a new start and fight the most powerful organization to do it. "Silence means security silence means approval" this is a simple and yet great line. Even if we don't agree with what's going on, even if we are afraid, we have to do more we have to take action or our inaction is approval. "I can't think clear; you look to me for reason. It's not there, I can't even rhyme here in the begin." At last Michael makes sure to let us know he isn't the leader he is only one that stood up, and spoke making his voice heard, but it's up to us to do our part. Find our own way.

0 comments: