Friday, February 20, 2009

Corduroy




I have to start with this song. Its number seven on the list for most played songs live, with a total of 377 as of today. It's the most played song off the album Vitalogy, and one of my favorites from that album.

I have a strong memory attached to this song and really to the whole album. I use to listen to it a lot during a period in my life where I was working in a factor that made the "guts" to slot machines and vending machines. The job was alright, a little mind numbing, but alright. I'd go out to my car for lunch and listen to this album over and over again everyday and it would always cheer me up. I had just barely broken off a horrible relationship with my first love and I had a lot of built up aggression and this song is just great to scream along to. I still love going a little crazy in the car with this song.

Some of my favorite lines in the song are:
"I don’t want to be held in your debt...
And Ill pay it off in blood, let I be wed...
And I’m already cut up and half dead...
Ill end up alone like I began...

Everything has changed, absolutely nothings changed
Take my hand, not my picture, spilled my tincture

I don’t want to take what you can give...
I would rather starve than eat your breast...”

This is right in the middle of the song and it just demands to be song along to. I love hearing this song live just so you can scream it at the top of your voice with everyone else. It validates all the pain and crap you allow other people to put you through.

And for those of you who always thought the song was about the wonderful fabric know as corduroy please look up this website and give them your support.

Corduroy Club

0 comments: