Tuesday, August 08, 2006

My History in Music Volume Five; A New City, Same Old Pieces in Play

1.Shutting the Hell Up
2.Daysleeper; R.E.M.- This song has two memories for me, one remembering the early part of marriage working at both the 7-11 and Ramada, walking to work. It also reminds me of all the job's I've had over my life were I was working late at night while everyone else was asleep.
3.Amy Hit the Atmosphere; Counting Crows- A big part of my life was working at Starwood Hotels and Resorts, a call center that made reservations for people. I was either at school or at the call center working. I had several friends there one in particular was Adam Walker, I actually helped him meet his future wife, one of the few things I can look back at in my life and know I did something good. Adam got me into the Counting Crows, if you remember my traitor friend Joe liked them so I tried to not listen to them, but Adam gave me better memories. Plus they're great road trip band.
4.Actually it's Darkness;Idlewild- Napster was a wonderful thing that might not be totally legal or ethical, but I found some amazing bands through it. My favorite was idlewild; they gave me an energy that I was missing at the time.
5.Proof;Mates of State- My Second favorite napster band. I loving seeing this band live they have a great presence for just two people playing drums and organ. Great music to dance to.
6.Flowers in December;Mazzy Star- This is the beginning of the trouble, I began to realize my marriage wasn't everything I had hoped for, I began to feel alone and not sure if I loved my wife, I'd listen to Mazzy Star while I took showers in the dark.
7.Blue Train;John Coltrane- I continued my downward spiral to a very dark and lonely period of my life that didn't hit bottom until I separated from my wife and was living in a hotel/apt infested with cockroaches and sharing a single bathroom with an entire floor. I often pissed in my sink instead of going to the communal bathroom.
8.Waitin' for a Superman;The Flaming Lips- Something that has always been a solitary joy for me was going to the movies, and for about six months I would hear this song playing before the movie began. It was sad and hopeful and I needed that, it gave me courage.
9.Is This It?;The Strokes- I would listen to this song every morning for a full semester to get myself awake in the morning; it's a great morning song.
10.Seasame Street Assassin
11.Subterranean Homesick Blues;Bob Dylan- When I moved back in with my wife I started a discovery of older rock, and no journey can be started without Bob. I love most of his stuff so it's hard to pick one song but I love singing along to this one.
12.Baba O'Riley;The Who- Any lover of Pearl Jam will have to at some point discover and love the Who. This is one of those great songs, about journeying and fighting till the end. Pearl Jam does a kick ass cover of this song when they close a show.
13.Pink Moon;Nick Drake- I love this song at night; this album is the loudest album. I love listening to it alone.
14.Passenger;Iggy Pop- I seem to have a love for songs that deal with travel and voyeurism; I think it deals with my fears and stability of interaction. Plus this one is also great to sing along with.
15.Psycho Killer;Talking Heads- another fascination I have always had and feared was that of serial killers and what drives them. This song is about the Son of Sam. David does a great job of getting into the head of a killer. It also has a great beat.
16.What do you do here?
17.Where is my Mind?;The Pixies-the first time I heard this song was at the end of FIGHT CLUB. It was and still is the greatest ending of any movie with an appropriate song ever! It blew me away I just sat there and watched the credits roll.
18.The Middle;Jimmy Eat World-This song came around my ten year graduation and caused me to look back and try and better understand what had happened. This song had the same emotions I felt then, so it's one of those I went through hell and survived songs.
19.Seven Nation Army;The White Stripes- I began working security at the University Student housing, listening to music and looking into the shadows to try and find something that was never there. It was always strange. A great song to sing along to at 2am. I also later found out that Jack White thought as a child that the Salvation Army was called Seven Nation Army. I liked that because I still do that all the time.
20.Mad World;Michael Andrews- This song came from DONNIE DARKO a movie, worth watching by the way. Another reminder about how high school sucked and my suicide days.
21.Volcan0;Damien Rice- I love finding this guy, the whole album rocked my world and I love it, I can't get tired of it. Everything that was missing in music I found on this album. I hear it and remember the best time of my life and the saddest because I knew it would never last.
22.The District Sleeps Tonight;The Postal Service- This is one of the last bands I found before graduating, I enjoy the music and words it's just fun and meaningful. Another great band to listen to right after the sun sets and you’re driving with the window down.
23.Bert and Ernie

0 comments: