Monday, June 09, 2008

R.E.M. at the Hollywood Bowl 05/29/08 W/The National & Modest Mouse



The National came out first and played a good set. I’m not as familiar with this band as the other two but their live show was great. I can’t wait to give their music a more in-depth listen. Their set included

1. Star a War
2. Brainy
3. Slow Show
4. Able
5. ? In My Beloved Wife? (not sure of the title)
6. Apartment Story
7. Mistake for Strangers
8. Fake Empire
9. Baby We’ll be Fire
10. Mr. November



Modest Mouse came out quickly and planned a fast set that was great. It had a lot of energy and really got the crowd ready for the main act. I’ve seen them twice before and I’ve come to learn that every show is its own. You never know what to expect from this band. Tonight was good, I don’t own all of their stuff but what I have I love and this was a great set which included.

Air Raid
1. Satin in a Coffin
2. Dance Hall
3. Dashboard
4. Fire it Up
5. Trucker’s Atlas
6. King Rat
7. ? Dreamed of Hell and Heaven but I don’t believe in either? (Couldn’t find
this one and I’m not even sure if this is the exact line Isaac sang.)
8. Float On
9. Paper Thin Walls
10. The Good Times are Killing Me
11. The View



I can’t easily tell you how many times I’ve seen R.E.M., but I can say each show is an experience that I’ll always cherish. Every tour/album has its own feel and emotions and this one was no different. The band played a clean set, and I don’t know if it was the feel of this tour or if it was because this was an early show in the tour or the place (Los Angeles) but the band wasn’t as fun to watch and interactive with the audience as in past tours. Saying this doesn’t mean the show wasn’t great but out of all of the tours I’ve seen it was one of the less entertaining ones. There were however some great moments within the show that I will always remember. Among them Ignoreland, and Let Me In. I’ve hear Let Me In a few different times and each one is great, but this time it was amazing. The band gathered around the stand up piano and played the song acoustically. It was private and gave the feeling of being with them in a studio or rehearsal. A private moment they shared with all of us. Here’s the set list

PRETTY PERSUASION
LIVING WELL
KENNETH
SITTING STILL
IGNORELAND
MAN SIZED WREATH
CIRCUS ENVY
DRIVE
ACCELERATE
HOLLOW MAN
FALL ON ME
HOUSTON
ELECTROLITE
FINAL STRAW
I’VE BEEN HIGH
LET ME IN
LOSING MY RELIGION
HORSE TO WATER
BAD DAY
WALK UNAFRAID
I’M GONNA DJ
----------------------
SUPERNATURAL
ONE I LOVE
UNTIL THE DAY
MAN ON THE MOON

Over all I’ll never go back to LA to see a show any show, the crowds there suck rocks, but it was a night I would never trade back. I meet two great security guards. They were twin brothers from Indiana trying to make it big and keeping their hearts from the blood suckers.

0 comments: