Monday, May 26, 2008

The Cure, Salt Lake City 05/24/08 E Center




I've been a fan of The Cure since, the single "Friday I'm in Love" came out. I loved the video of Robert playing on the stage. A year later I meet a friend that was a hardcore Cure fan that introduced me to their other work and I have to say I've been smitten ever since. Disintegration and Faith are my two personal favorite albums. Even though I've been a fan for years I've never be able to see the live, until now. I wasn't sure what to expect but being a fan I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

The opening band was called 65 days of static, and I have to say the name fits the band. I've never seen an opening band that was purely instrumental. I loved the music but personally I would have liked them a lot more if they had a singer, but that's me. I did however like that they samples a line from the movie SINGLES.

Robert and the band came out at 8:30. The stage had a U shaped lighting rack and four screens in the back ground that played films during some of the songs (there are parentheses with a word to describe what I saw in front of the song titles for the songs that had a film). Robert was in a good mood and talked a little in between songs but his heavy accent made it hard to tell what he was saying, besides thank you. I have to say I didn't expect them to play as long as they did. Next to Pearl Jam this was one of the longest shows I've ever seen. They didn't leave until 11:30 which was a total of 3 hours and 3 encores. It was a lot of fun. I would recommend everyone that has ever been a fan to at least see them once if they haven't already.
Ok here's the set list. For the new songs I picked titles that seemed to fit the songs so do forgive me if they aren't right. There was one song that was new that I didn't title because I couldn't really pin point a good line to use as a title.

1. (Stars) Plainsong
2. (Neon Lights) Fascination Street
3. A Night Like This
4. (Fly) The Walk
5. (Stick Figure) End of the World
6. (Painted Face) Love Song
7. (Single Cover) Pictures of You
8. (Spider) Lullaby
9. Catch
10. Perfect World- New Song
11. (Sunset) From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea
12. Other Voices
13. Sleep When I’m Dead- new song
14. Push
15. (Spinning Hearts) Friday I’m in Love
16. In Between Days
17. Just Like Heaven
18. (floating face balls) Elsie
19. Shake Dog Shake
20. (pills) Never Enough
21. Hot Hot Hot
22. The Only One- new song
23. (mirror Sign) Wrong Number
24. (B&W violent images) One Hundred Years
25. Disintegration
Encore
26. At Night
27. (m) New Song
28. Play for Today
29. (trees) A Forest
Encore
30. Boy’s Don’t Cry
31. Jumping Someone Else’s Train
32. Grinding Halt
33. 10:15 Saturday Night
34. Killing an Arab
Encore
35 Why can’t I be you

It was a great set and I have to say it could have only been better if they had stuck in Fight, Untitled, or funeral song. I would love to see them play again.

2 comments:

mfranti said...

Encore
30. Boy’s Don’t Cry
31. Jumping Someone Else’s Train
32. Grinding Halt
33. 10:15 Saturday Night
34. Killing an Arab
Encore
35 Why can’t I be you

what? i missed this? i thought for sure they were done after "a forest"

i've been listening to the cure since grade school/jr high. kiss me kiss me, kiss me was the first real tape i got from them in 1987.

thanks for the set list and your comments.

mfranti

Brannigan C said...

I was couldn't believe they kept coming out myself. Robert was just having too much fun. After the second encore I thought for sure they were done and then wammy they come out again for Why Can't I Be You. I had to wait until they brought up the lights before I left just in case.